Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Herbal First Aid & CPR

    We had an awesome Relief Society last night! I would like to thank Sister Sandy Ellis for coming and talking to us about healthy living and how to use herbs in our first aid kits. It was amazing! She said, "Brigham Young instructed every household to never be without these 4 herbs. Cayenne, Comfrey, Yarrow and Chaparral." A few notes that I took: Cayenne is used to stop bleeding, hemorrhaging or even a heart attack is used immediately. Comfrey is great for broken bones and burns.  Make a burn paste with equal parts comfrey powder, wheat germ oil and raw honey. It has to be RAW! Yarrow is great for cold and flus. Drinking Yarrow hot creates sweat and drinking it cold makes you urinate. Chapparal is a blood cleanser. With most herbs it is a rule of thumb to make a tea with 1 tsp of herb to 1 cup of hot water. However chapparal is extremely concentrated and must be diluted quite heavily. I thought one of the other things she said  that was interesting was that pioneer babies were dying of the "croup" until the Indians taught them how to make an onion poultice.
     When I was a baby I had the so called "Croup." My mom said that my lips were turning blue. I wasn't receiving enough oxygen. (Back back then they didn't know about RSV but it is the same thing. If your child has RSV now, they advise you to go the ER and have your baby suctioned out every couple of hours.) My Aunt Verla came over and immediately made me a Mustard Plaster. My airways opened up! My mom said she was so grateful and it was so easy. (The recipe is below) I bet it is similar to making an onion poultice. I find this stuff so interesting! I hope you can incorporate it into your first aid kits and try it out for yourself!
    We also had Sister LuAnn Carpenter teach us how to do CPR. 1-Establish an airway: support the jaw and tilt the head. If you see fluid or foreign objects, turn the victim onto his/her side and clear. 2-Check for breathing: Look at chest. Listen for air escaping. Feel the air escaping and chest rising. 3-Give 2 rescue breaths: If victim is non-responsive. 4-Give 30 chest compressions: On the center of the chest give 30 compressions and 2 rescue breaths. Do at least 5 times in 2 minutes.
    It is as easy as C-A-B    Compressions (push hard and fast on the center of the victims chest)  Airway (tilt the victim's head back and lift the chin to open the airway) Breathing (give mouth to mouth rescue breaths).
    If you are more interested in Sandy Ellis you can visit her website at http://drmomsherbshop.com  or follow her on her facebook page- Dr Mom's Healthy Living. She his very knowledgeable and so awesome!
    Thanks everyone for coming! Make it a goal to get your FIRST AID KITS put together this month for our 72 hour kits!

No comments:

Post a Comment